The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera is a true hybrid camera designed for both professional photo and video use. It features a 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS sensor and a 4-CPU Venus Engine, capable of capturing high-resolution JPEG and RAW stills, as well as UHD 4K 3840×2160 30p/24p and cinematic DCI 4K 4096×2160 video at 24p. Like its predecessor, the GH4 features a weather-sealed magnesium alloy body, while offering increased resolution on both the OLED monitor and electronic viewfinder. It also features built-in Wi-Fi with NFC technology, in-camera creative controls, and a high-speed 49-point autofocus in both photo and video mode.
The GH4 delivers video quality surpassing many professional video cameras. Video can be recorded in a variety of formats, from efficient AVCHD and AVCHD Progressive, to 200 Mbps All-Intra and 100 Mbps IPB MOV and MP4 formats. And because the GH4 is a global camera, the system frequency can be switched between 59.94 Hz (23.98 Hz) and 50 Hz, yielding a variety of recording options including 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, and 59.94p. The system can also be switched to 24 Hz to capture true 24p in HD and 4K resolutions.
Video and photos are recorded to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards. For high bit-rate 100 Mbps and 200 Mbps formats, SDHC/SDXC UHS-I Speed Class 3 (U3) cards are supported and recommended. Video recorded to SD cards is 4:2:0 8-bit. Real-time 4:2:2 8-bit and 4:2:2 10-bit video can also be sent to an external monitor or recorder with an optional micro HDMI cable. Additional video features include focus peaking, timecode support, and cine-like gamma options. For unique expressions, VBR (Variable Frame Rate), time-lapse, and stop motion animation videos can be recording internally without the need for additional post-production processing. The GH4 comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack, battery charger with AC cable, body cap, hot shoe cover, USB cable, shoulder strap, and DVD with supplied software.
16.05 Megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
The 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS sensor delivers high-quality images with high sensitivity and quick response times. The increased signal speed readout helps to suppress the effects of rolling shutter. In conjunction with the quad-core Venus Engine image processor, you’ll enjoy dramatically improved sensitivity (maximum ISO 25600), gradation performance, resolution, and color reproduction.
Micro Four Thirds System and Lens Mount
The DMC-GH4’s 4/3″ type sensor is large enough for shallow depth of field and yet small enough to take advantage of lighter more compact lenses than a larger format camera would require. Plus, the short flange focal distance of the Micro Four Thirds Lens Mount makes it possible to add optional adapters (sold separately) to use a wide range of lenses, including PL-mount cinema lenses.
The high-precision Contrast AF integrates DFD (Depth from Defocus) technology to achieve AF speeds of approximately 0.07 sec in AFS mode. This enables the camera to shoot bursts of 12 fps in AFS mode.
Professional 4K Video Recording
The DMC-GH4 brings the GH-line into the 4K age by offering both 16:9 UHD 4K 3840×2160 video at 23.98p, 24p or 29.97p, and 17:9 DCI (Digital Cinema Initiatives) 4K 4096×2160 videos at 24p. 4K resolutions can be recorded as MOV or MP4 files in high bitrate 100 Mbps IPB codec. When recording at 100 Mbps, you will need an SDHC/SDXC memory card capable of handling the transfer speed.
VFR (Variable Frame Rate)
The VFR mode enables Full HD video recording with slow/fast motion, depending on the video format and system frequency selected.
– Post Focus settings allows photographers to pick the in-focus area after the image has been taken
– In-camera time-lapse and stop motion animation
– 1/8000 second maximum shutter speed
– 1/250 second shutter speed sync for built-in and external flash
– Face / Eye Detection AF
– External Flash Burst enables consecutive flash bursts with compatible on-camera units
– Magnification of 1-Area focus point
– Language support: English and Spanish.
Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens
Pairing a versatile focal length range with a bright constant maximum aperture, the Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. from Panasonic is a 24-70mm equivalent zoom designed for Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras. Covering wide-angle to portrait-length perspectives, this lens’s f/2.8 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also affords greater control over depth of field for selective focus control.
The optical design makes use of four aspherical elements, one UHR element, and one UED element to suppress spherical and chromatic aberrations for improved sharpness and clarity throughout the zoom range. A Nano Surface Coating has also been used to control lens flare and ghosting for greater contrast when shooting in bright, backlit conditions.
Complementing the optical attributes, this lens is also characterized by its POWER O.I.S. system, which minimizes the appearance of camera shake to benefit working handheld in difficult lighting conditions. A stepping AF motor and internal focusing mechanism is also used for quick, quiet focusing performance to benefit both still and video applications. Additionally, the lens is sealed against moisture and dust to better enable its use in harsh environmental conditions.
– Standard wide-angle to portrait-length zoom is designed for Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras and provides a 24-70mm equivalent focal length range.
– Constant f/2.8 maximum aperture provides consistent performance throughout the zoom range.
– Four aspherical elements and one Ultra High Refractive Index (UHR) element reduce spherical aberrations and distortion for improved sharpness and rendering.
– One Ultra Extra-Low Dispersion element (UED) minimizes chromatic aberrations and color fringing for greater clarity and color accuracy.
– Stepping AF motor and internal focus design provides smooth and quiet focusing performance that is well-suited to both photo and video use.
– POWER Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.) minimizes the appearance of camera shake to realize sharper imagery when shooting handheld.
– Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
– Weather-sealed construction, including a rubber seal around the mount, benefits working in trying environmental conditions.